Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Low Down SPORTS AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE





  • E
    Either I'm delusional or outside of my house looks like Lambeaugh Field. This ain't Green Bay this is Baltimore, Md.. I should be able to look out of my house and at least see across the street let alone the actual street. The strangest shit happened to me the other day while I was watching the Superbowl. I actually fell asleep in the 4th quarter, because I didn't really give a damn. The biggest game of the year and there was really no interest on my part. Now don't get me wrong I despise the Colts like every true Baltimorian should, but other than that this game was lacking something and I just couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me. Outside of Peyton Manning and maybe Reggie Kardashian there was no star power or controversial figures to make the game exciting. Which led me to thinking about the landscape of sports now vs yesteryear.
  • I have had the fortune of witnessing both the best individual athletes and sports teams of All time. From Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabarr, I got to watch sports played at the highest level. Now don't get me wrong today's athletes can do some amazing things out there , but they lack the appeal and don't garner the respect of the masses the way their former contemporaries did.
  • You know where it all went wrong for each sport. I will tell you. In basketball it started with the man I call both a blessing and a curse Michael Jeffrey Jordan. There was nothing more prettier than watching Air Jordan do his thing and lead his team to victory, but what happened after that forever changed the way the game was played. Michael influenced every young player coming up and led them to believe that one man was above the crew and if you wanted to win bad enough sometimes you had to do it yourself. ESPN and A Pimp Named Stern ate it up and Michael was the face of the league. What ESPN, Michael, and Stern didn't tell you was it is OK to be the man on the court as long as you didn't wear corn rolls, grab your nuts,come late to practice and wear pants sagging off your ass. A new era of guys who dreamt of being like Mike including Penny,Grant,A I,Grand Ma Ma, Cwebb,Tmac,Vinsanity and KB were told to wear suits conform and oh yeah that highlight isolation shit you saw with Mike is no more. You will pass the ball and love it. The rules will dictate that one man will never ever be able to dominate and be the sole reason his team wins again. In the process A pimp Named Stern killed individuality and creativity and shoe companies and major sponsors followed his lead. Back in the day stars had their own shoes and you knew them through marketing and commercials. Now if you are not KB 24 or Queen James no one knows what the hell you wear or who you are. Kevin Durant averages 29 points a game and you say who that kid from Texas. What shoes do Carmello and Chris Paul wear. Ever seen Joe Johnson or Darren Williams in a commercial. What position does Brandon Roy play. Get the picture yet.
  • When was the last time you got excited about watching a game that Kobe wasn't a part of. For all of your love of Lebron there is really no marketing behind any other teams not named the Lakers or Celtics. Until the marketing gets better and players in Memphis get exposure everyone is going to want to play in LA, Boston or NY.
  • How do you fix the problem. Change the rules to the way they were in the 80's and early 90's. Stop hiring those Dr. Phil sensitive ass referees and get someone who can appreciate hard fouls . Let Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn train your referees.
  • Bring back trash talking. Remember Reggie and Spike Lee going at it. What about Jordan and Starks. Those mutherfuckers talked shit and had to back it up. Imagine Kobe and Dwade exchanging words and elbows and going at it every time they played as if it was game 7 winner take all. What about Boozier tired of seeing Kirelinko getting abused floors Lebron with a hard take down. Nothing to injure him but vicious enough to make him think twice about coming down the lane next time. The reason why you used to see Mike dunking on centers was because there was no fear of taking a man out. Trust me for every dunk you saw on Sports Center there were six or seven take downs of Mike that he paid the price for. The paint was not place for point guards or guys named Sasha or Peja.
  • Get rid of zone defense, doubling a man off the ball and bring back isolation on the wing. Mike made a living off that shit. Imagine if Stacy King had to take the last shot, because Mike was being triple teamed off the ball. America would be pissed as shit. The thing back in the day was you wanted your team to win and see Jordan drop 40. Could you imagine Kobe,Queen James, Dwade isolated at the top of the key and a defender at their mercy. I know if I had 6 fouls to give they would be on that line with the battle scars to show for it or they would be some jump shooting mutherfuckers.
  • We are being robbed of some fantastic individual performances and there are no true rivalries outside of the Lakers vs the NBA. Don't get me wrong team ball is a beautiful to watch, but there was nothing wrong with watching AI carry the Sixers, or Tmac carrying the Magic. There are many different ways to win and I want a Pimp Named Stern to put creativity and artistry back into the game. I want a game where men can be men without the fear of suspension. If I want nice clean ball I will watch the WNBA.
  • I want a league where I recognize players from commercials and I know what brands they endorse. I want a league where it is ok to be a Raptor or a Grizzly. I want a league where players are known for representing the city that they play in with pride. I don't think Brandon Jennings wears his Bucks uniform with pride at all. Last but not least I want a league wear I can watch regular season games from start to finish and enjoy them like a true fan.
  • THIS IS ONLY PART 1.
  • I'M OUT LIKE PEYTON MANNING AFTER YET ANOTHER POST SEASON FAILURE.


4 comments:

s. said...

What's up Ig? Long time man. I just have to say this WHO DAT !!!
I wish that my boys could have beat the 50 year old Bret & we would have beat them Saints again. oh well better luck next yr.

Jason Garret has to be removed from D-Town.

There is a lot of biasism towards the Lakers and K.B.
The Lakers & Celtics haven't been the only Dynasty in the league over the last 20yrs. My Rockets in all Houstonians eyes would be considered a dynasty. Shit were was the Lakers in the 90's?

Oh yeah Ig i am glad to see that K.B. is human and showing that he too can take some time off and nurse his injuries.
I think you should give K.B. a call to let him know there should be no reason to go Denver to get therapy. I hear that they have good doctors and clinics in LA.

I just happen to agree with you the level of compitition in the NBA needs to be reevaluated. But i also disagree I hated and loved all at the same time the fact that MJ would single handedly take on teams. I did look forward to him and John Starks going at it.

(what the hell happened to Knicks? to much pride in NYC for the Knicks to suck as much as they do.)

I think that much like the NFL players are afraid of getting fined that they just go with the flow which is a shame. People are crazy there is no doubt about that what's that guys name oh yeah Delonte West - this guy thinks he is rambo riding down i95S in Maryland with a guitar case with firearms. Shit if I was any player knowing that this is how this guys roles I wouldn't get in his way he may show-up to the arena like Gilbert dumb ass and fuck me up.

Labron isn't human I also want to say that also. He thinks he is a point guard in power forwards body.

The All Star weekend festivities is this weekend at the Greatest Stadium in the US and half the players are faking injuries. Or not participating in the events. I don't want to see old ass Jason Kidd or T-Mac who has played what one game this season BS. (I hope that three way trade works out)


Can we get some more pictures of Serena. She could probably break me in two pieces but damn what away to go.


peace out.

Anonymous said...

Man fuck Kobe and your bitch ass Lakers

Anonymous said...

I watched the Bowl in its entirety and I have 2 say I too was disappointed with what I saw. Don't get me wrong it was an okay game but not the type u want 2 slap ur mother 4 when u are 15 and she asks u to walk 2 the store during the game 2 get her some kool-aid and sugar. I would have gladly taken that trip.

What the fuck happened to real sports???? When did it become wrong 2 pimp slap ur opponent and then talk shit about it....Yeah bitch I smacked u and I dare u to come over here and do something about it! That's the type of sports I want 2 c! The Ravens who are an awesome well-rounded team have been seen as bullies because frankly Baltimore don't take no shit from nobody and wht happened they were a team known for massive penalties every game.

I agree with u Rome it's these soft ass boo loving refs and this I used to b an Atheist and now I'm a Christian ass league. Make up ur fucking mind already...do u want ur focus to be solely on teamwork and if so is there still room for individuality? Can we have Kobe, Bron, and Peyton go self and win games or are they going to be forced to share the ball with the third kardashian, and (Kobe tell me how my ass tastes) Shack Daddy! Until the league (basketball and football)makes up it's mind on what's acceptable behavior sports will never b what it used to b!!! B4 I go here is my personal opinion on some random sports shit.....I know u won't agree with me on a lot of this Rome and I respect that but oh well it's my time to shine.....PING!!!!!

The Ravens are going all the way this year....with our running game and hardcore defense defeat is not an option! Just signed Stallworth too so we running over niggas this year literally!

I would love 2 c the Ravens against the Boys, not so much in a football game but in an ultimate fighting match...C'mon Son the Boys would get fucked up son!!!!

Peyton needs to stop playing scared, getting sacked is apart of the game....no QB wants that but u are looking like a complete bitch out there Peyton running and shit!

Last but not least Kobe needs to stop making that ugly ass face everytime he makes a bucket..he is not all that great of a player in my book but I can't take anything away from that man he is nice.I'm just tired of seeing him shit on my favorite teams and then make that god awful face afterwards to add insult to injury...that's like banging a bad bitch and making her walk home or having a fresh cut and pouring a gallon on alcohol on it!

Delonte got guns and Gilbert is a terriost...these are things I don't condone!

Fuck everybody who still dislikes Vic, Melo is the shit, and nobody can beat me in 2k10 I'm out!

Unknown said...

Hey you might want to play your fucking position and leave KB 24 and the Dallas Cowboys out of your mouth.Enjoy KB while you can, because he won't be around forever. As for your challenge to the Boys on behalf of your ravens. I should expect that type of behaivor from a team whose leader skips out on the media after losses,refuses to shower and drives up 83 with his helmet on and everything yelling out "YOU MUST RESPECT THIS HOUSE!"You also said that a 13 time All Star,an Olympic Gold Medalist,4 Time Champion,a MVP, 3 TIME MVP of the All Star game and 13 time All defense player is not an all time great. Either upgrade from crack to cocaine or have your house checked for lead paint. Either way Pookie aint got shit on you. I'm out like common sense,judgement, and knowledge of the game.