Wednesday, January 4, 2012

JERRY JONES IS OUT OF HIS MIND



The evaluation process has begun at Valley Ranch.
Another postseason absence will spark conversation among fans and in the media about how Cowboys owner Jerry Jones should consider giving up his job as general manager. With that in mind, Jones was asked how he would evaluate his job as general manager on his bi-weekly radio show.
"One of the first jobs of a GM is to have good coaching," Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 FM. "I think we've got good coaching. I know that they know it can be better, but every team can say that. I look at our coaching and I like it.
"I look at our personnel. We had a total of 71 players on the roster all year, 31 were new players. I look at the mix of players, the veteran, the young player, where we're going to be with our core.
"I know we can do better, but I think there are some positives there."
Bill Polian of Indianapolis and Jerry Angelo of Chicago are two, high-profile general managers who have been fired this week. Jones has served on the competition committee with Polian and has stated publicly on several occasions that he respects the former Colts/Bills/Panthers administrator.
But Jones believes adding a general manager to the Cowboys' front-office structure would, in his words, "deter from the mix" because it adds another layer.
"I'd call on the very same kinds of influence and people and the information that someone like Bill Polian does," Jones said.
"The way we're structured and the way it is, our fans need to understand that I have the ability to go get anybody and any bit of information that there is, sports or football, and I do. I go get it. We get it from a lot of sources."
Jones refused to call this season a failure, but did say it was disappointing. He thought where the team ranked in offense and defense, with the way QB Tony Romo was playing, it should have done better.
The Cowboys owner also said he likes what Rob Ryan brings philosophically and expects the team's defensive coordinator to return next season.
And what about the criticism that flares up this time every season that he's not "a football guy" and the Cowboys need one?
"Well, that really doesn't bother me," Jones said. "The facts are I've spent, what, 22 years doing this. I've made a lot of changes from year to year as time goes along, but frankly I know that when we do not have the kind of success, when we don't have expectations lived up to, then the one that should get the most heat is the one who ultimately makes the decisions, period, and that's me."
Briefly: The Cowboys signed CB Mario Butler to their future list Tuesday. The rookie from Georgia Tech spent the season on their practice squad

No comments: